California DMV Information
The California DMV licenses both drivers and vehicles. This amounts to about approximately 20 million licensed drivers and 26 million vehicles registered.
The DMV has worked hard in recent years to overcome its reputation. The lines are shorter and the DMV has begun to offer many services online. If you do need to go into your local DMV office you can schedule an appointment online and save time when you arrive.
Many California drivers can now renew their drivers license online.
Many California drivers can now renew their automobile registration online.
You can now order special interest license plates online.
Other major DMV functions include:
- Recording ownership (certificate of title) of the
vehicles DMV registers
- Maintaining driving records (accidents and convictions)
of licensed drivers
- Issuing identification cards for individuals
- Registering and recording ownership of vessels
- Licensing and regulating vehicle manufacturers,
transporters, dealers, distributors, vehicle salespeople,
- Licensing and regulating driving and traffic violator
schools and their instructors
- Administering the Financial Responsibility Law
- Investigating consumer complaints
- Maintaining records in accordance with the law
- Collects approximately $5.9 billion in revenues
Please visit the California DMV website for complete information.